Re: Emitting JSON to file using COPY TO

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Davin Shearer <davin(at)apache(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Emitting JSON to file using COPY TO
Date: 2023-12-07 01:09:22
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 6, 2023 at 5:57 PM Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com> wrote:

> On 12/6/23 19:39, David G. Johnston wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 6, 2023 at 4:45 PM Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com
> > <mailto:mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>> wrote:
>
> > But I still cannot shake the belief that using a format code of 1 -
> > which really could be interpreted as meaning "textual csv" in practice -
> > for this JSON output is unwise and we should introduce a new integer
> > value for the new fundamental output format.
>
> No, I am pretty sure you still have that wrong. The "1" means binary
> mode

Ok. I made the same typo twice, I did mean to write 0 instead of 1. But
the point that we should introduce a 2 still stands. The new code would
mean: use text output functions but that there is no inherent tabular
structure in the underlying contents. Instead the copy format was JSON and
the output layout is dependent upon the json options in the copy command
and that there really shouldn't be any attempt to turn the contents
directly into a tabular data structure like you presently do with the CSV
data under format 0. Ignore the column count and column formats as they
are fixed or non-existent.

David J.