Re: Change JOIN tutorial to focus more on explicit joins

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Kellerer <shammat(at)gmx(dot)net>, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Change JOIN tutorial to focus more on explicit joins
Date: 2020-10-22 16:27:08
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 8:14 AM Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Why do you use parenthesis for ON clause? It is useless. SQL is not C or
> JAVA.

At this point in my career it's just a personal habit. I never programmed
C, done most of my development in Java so maybe that's a subconscious
influence?

I suspect it is partly because I seldom need to use "ON" but instead join
with "USING" which does require the parentheses, so when I need to use ON I
just keep them.

I agree they are unnecessary in the example and should be removed to be
consistent.

David J.