Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Jim Nasby <jim(dot)nasby(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column
Date: 2024-01-23 02:30:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 2:35 PM Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
wrote:

> List of roles
> Role name | Attributes | Password? | Valid until | Connection limit
> admin | INHERIT | no | | -1
> alice | SUPERUSER +| yes | infinity | 5
>
> I think I'm in the minority on believing that these describe outputs
should not be beholden to internal implementation details. But seeing a -1
in the limit column is just jarring to my sensibilities. I suggest
displaying blank (not null, \pset should not influence this) if the
connection limit is "no limit", only showing positive numbers when there is
meaningful exceptional information for the user to absorb.

David J.