Re: BUG #14397: Updatable VIEW doesn't work with ON CONFLICT from PgPreparedStatement

From: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Grygoriy Gonchar <grygoriy(dot)gonchar(at)kreditech(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #14397: Updatable VIEW doesn't work with ON CONFLICT from PgPreparedStatement
Date: 2016-10-31 17:30:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Grygoriy Gonchar <
grygoriy(dot)gonchar(at)kreditech(dot)com> wrote:

> ​
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 6:09 PM, David G. Johnston <
> david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 2:24 AM, <grygoriy(dot)gonchar(at)kreditech(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> The following bug has been logged on the website:
>>>
>>> Bug reference: 14397
>>> Logged by: Grygoriy Gonchar
>>> Email address: grygoriy(dot)gonchar(at)kreditech(dot)com
>>> PostgreSQL version: 9.5.4
>>> Operating system: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (Ubuntu 4.8.2
>>>
>>> ​[...]​
>>>

>>> An exception or error caused a run to abort: ERROR: ON CONFLICT is not
>>> supported on table "test" used as a catalog table
>>>

>> ​Any chance you cross-posted this to Stack Overflow? A Google search on
>> "used as a catalog table" turns up a post from 5 days ago that is awfully
>> similar.
>>
>> ​http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40260920/updatable-view-
>> doesnt-work-with-on-conflict-in-postgres-9-5​
>>
>> ​The conclusion there is that we seem to have a RLS interaction failure.
>> I suspect this isn't a code bug but a known, if under-documented,
>> limitation though others more versed with these two features need to chime
>> in.
>>
>> David J.
>>
> ​"""​
​Hi David and Peter,

Yes, I did this cross posting to ​
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40260920/updatable-view-doesnt-work-with-on-conflict-in-postgres-9-5​
So it's not a bug but a limitation which is quite logical but is not
reflected in documentation. According to Postgres bug reporting guideline
"If it is not clear from the documentation whether you can do something or
not, please report that too; it is a bug in the documentation" should I
create a separate bug to improve documentation or can we use this one?
​"""

Please don't top-post and, in the future, mention any cross-posting that
you do.

This bug report will suffice as a request for improved documentation if
indeed that is the ultimate problem.

David J.