Re: psql \df choose functions by their arguments

From: Greg Sabino Mullane <htamfids(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql \df choose functions by their arguments
Date: 2020-10-30 00:35:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thank you for looking this over.

> This isn't working for arrays:
> postgres=# \df aa aa int[]

Arrays should work as expected, I think you have one too many "aa" in there?

> I think it should use the same syntax as \sf and \ef, which require
> parenthesis
> and commas, not spaces.

Hmm, that will not allow partial matches if we require a closing parens.
Right now both commas and parens are accepted, but optional.

> I think x is just used as "initial", so I think you should make it boolean
> and
> then set is_initial = false, or similar.

Good suggestion, it is done.

> +
> pg_strcasecmp(functoken, "bool") == 0 ? "'boolean'"
>
> I think writing this all within a call to appendPQExpBuffer() is excessive.
> You can make an array or structure to search through and then append the
> result
> to the buffer.

Hmm, like a custom struct we loop through? I will look into implementing
that and submit a new patch.

Cheers,
Greg