Query Rewrite with Postgres' materialized views

From: Eric Grinstein <ericgrinstein(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Query Rewrite with Postgres' materialized views
Date: 2015-02-16 03:05:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

Are there any plans for implementing query rewriting (i.e. allowing the
optimizer to substitute materialized views for queries)
in upcoming versions? I have recently seen this answer
<http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/200501041006.18735.josh@agliodbs.com>,
saying that query rewriting could be achieved using the rules system, but
I could not figure out how to. Could someone please give me some tips on
how to do it? Is it possible to make a rule not to all SELECTs of a table
but for a specific query? Or the trick is done with another approach?

Thank you for your time,

Eric Grinstein
Computer Engineering Student
PUC-Rio