Re: requested timeline doesn't contain minimum recovery point

From: Tom DalPozzo <t(dot)dalpozzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: requested timeline doesn't contain minimum recovery point
Date: 2017-01-10 13:35:16
Lists: pgsql-general

> Could you give more details? What does pg_rewind tell you at each
>> phase? Is that on Postgres 9.5 or 9.6? I use pg_rewind quite
>> extensively on 9.5 but I have no problems of this time with multiple
>> timeline jumps when juggling between two nodes. Another thing that is
>> coming to my mind: you are using pg_rewing with a source node that is
>> running. You should issue a checkpoint manually after promoting the
>> node to be sure that its control file gets the new timeline number.
>> --
>> Michael
>>
> Hi,
>
> sometimes pg_rewind says that nothing needs to be done, sometimes it says
> it's rewinding and done at the end.
> I'm using 9.6. I moved there from 9.5 as I'm also using replication slots
> and in 9.6 there is a second parameter added. But I seem to remember that
> it did the same in 9.5 too but I'm not really sure.
> I checked that the server, at promotion said the message about the new
> timeline.
> I will make some more tests.
> Regards
> Pupillo

Hi!
I redid the tests following your suggestion to issue a checkpoint manually.
IT WORKS!
Just a question: when the standby server starts, I see the log error
messages (ex.: "invalid record length...") when WAL end is reached. I know
that it's normal.
But I'm wondering if the system, in order to detect the end of the WAL,
controls only the validity of the records in the WAL.
I mean, could random bytes appear as a valid record (very unlikely, but
possible)?
Thanks
Pupillo