Re: psql: bogus descriptions displayed by \d+

From: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql: bogus descriptions displayed by \d+
Date: 2011-07-27 01:21:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 10:29 PM, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I think this is basically the right approach but I found what you did
> here a bit wordy, so I simplified it, committed it, and back-patched
> to 9.0 with suitable adjustment.  Hopefully I didn't simplify it into
> a form you don't like.

That looks fine. Minor grammar quibble about:

+ When commenting on a column,
+ <replaceable class="parameter">relation_name</replaceable> must refer
+ to a table, view, composite types, or foreign table.

"types" should probably be the singular "type".

> Committed this part to head with minor tweaks.

Thanks for the commit.

>>> I'm OK with removing that.
>>
>> Hrm, would it be better to keep that  Storage bit around in some
>> non-repetitive form, maybe on its own line below the table output?
>
> Well, I don't really see that it has any value.  I'd probably just
> leave it the way it is, but if we're going to change something, I
> would favor removing it over relocating it.

I notice the "Storage" information is also repeated for multi-column
indexes. I don't mind leaving this wart as-is for now, since
single-column indexes are probably the norm, and we would presumably
want to fix both types in one go.

Josh