Re: description of CHECKPOINT command confusing

From: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: description of CHECKPOINT command confusing
Date: 2011-10-13 01:44:26
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> It's for preventing pg_start_backup() from taking lots of time? If so,
> you're right in 8.3 and before. In 8.4 and later, instead, you can specify
> whether pg_start_backup() performs smoothed checkpoint or immediate
> one, by using the second argument of pg_start_backup().

Neat, I hadn't seen that change to pg_start_backup().

> I'm not sure if there are other use cases during normal operation.

If there's no real use-case for the command, I think the existing text
of "not intended for use during normal operation" is fine.

> It's helpful to link to that. What a "restartpoint" is explained in also
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/wal-configuration.html

I wonder if it'd be helpful to break up that page into sub-sections,
it is quite a large single section now. That might make it easier to
link into that page for explaining restartpoint.

Slightly updated patch attached.

Josh

Attachment Content-Type Size
checkpoint_command.2.diff text/x-diff 2.4 KB