Re: somewhat wrong archive_command example

From: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: somewhat wrong archive_command example
Date: 2011-09-22 19:29:25
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Euler Taveira de Oliveira
<euler(at)timbira(dot)com> wrote:
> On 22-09-2011 15:15, Josh Kupershmidt wrote:
>>  1.) IMO it's more logical to put the test for whether the $ARCHIVE
>> directory exists before the test whether ${ARCHIVE}/${FILE} exists.
>
> No. If you do so, it will end up wasting a lot of cpu cycles testing
> something that is *always* true (if the directory exists). AFAICS this test
> is to handle a cp failure case nicely.

Maybe I misunderstand you.. I was talking about this test, which was
in Greg's script already:

if [ ! -d ${ARCHIVE} ] ; then
echo Archive directory does not exist >&2
exit 1
fi

I don't see how it would make any difference performance-wise whether
this block is moved up to right before the "if [ -f ${ARCHIVE}/${FILE}
] ; then" line: we expect both of these if-statements to evaluate
false if they are reached.

Josh