Re: Libpq functions & string to obtain connection parameters

From: arnaud gaboury <arnaud(dot)gaboury(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Libpq functions & string to obtain connection parameters
Date: 2016-10-07 14:58:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 4:42 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
wrote:

On 10/07/2016 07:28 AM, arnaud gaboury wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 3:56 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com
> <mailto:adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>> wrote:
>
> On 10/07/2016 06:42 AM, arnaud gaboury wrote:
> >

> > Honestly not so much, as it is a nearly perfect Copy/past of
> postgresql
> > official doc[0].
> > My postgresql socket is in the usual place:
> > /run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432=
> > So no need to specify it. But for the rest, I am still not sure of
> my URI
> >
> > [0]https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/libpq-connect.html
> >

> Aah, just remembered you wanted username and password, so:
>
> psql postgresql://aklaver:pwd@/test?connect_timeout=10
>

> It helps, but I must have something else misconfigured then:
>
> -------------------------------------
> # su postgres
> postgres(at)thetradinghall ➤➤ mattermost/bin % bash
> bash-4.3$ psql postgresql:///mattermost?connect_timeout=10
> psql (9.5.4)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> mattermost=# \q
> =====> OK
> Now with the Unix user I want to use:

> % su mattermost
> bash-4.3$ psql postgresql:///mattermost?connect_timeout=10
> psql: FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for host "[local]", user
> "mattermost", database "mattermost", SSL off
>
> As a reminder, I made an entry in pg_ident.conf this way:
> mattermap mattermost mmuser
>
> and add this line in pg_hba.conf
> local mattermost mmuser peer
> map=mattermap
>
> What is wromg in my UNIX/postgresql user mapping?

Did you reload the server after making the changes?:

GGGrrrhhhhh

-------------------------------
# systemctl restart postgresql
# su mattermost
bash-4.3$ psql postgresql://mmuser:XXXYYYY@/mattermost?
psql (9.5.4)
Type "help" for help.

mattermost=> \q

OK. Now I know unix user mattermost can connect to mattermost Db via unix
socket. BUT when trying to write this in my URI:

postgresql://mmuser:MyPwd@/mattermost?connect_timeout=10

I get this from my app :
Failed to ping db err:pq: SSL is not enabled on the server

Is it normal to still have this error ? Adding sslmode param will not
change anything as it is ignored for Unix domain socket communication.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

The pg_hba.conf file is read on start-up and when the main server
process receives a SIGHUP signal. If you edit the file on an active
system, you will need to signal the postmaster (using pg_ctl reload or
kill -HUP) to make it re-read the file.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/auth-username-maps.html

The pg_ident.conf file is read on start-up and when the main server