postgres 9 bind address for replication

From: Adam Crews <adam(dot)crews(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-cluster-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgres 9 bind address for replication
Date: 2012-07-21 05:24:11
Lists: pgsql-cluster-hackers pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I'm sorry for cross-posting, however I originally posted this to
pgsql-general list, but didnt get any replies.

I’m using pg 9.1.3 on CentOS 5 and have a few slave databases setup
using the built in streaming replication.

On the slaves I set the “listen_addresses” config option to an ip
address for a virtual alias on my network interfaces. The host has an
address of 10.1.1.10, and there is a virtual alias of 10.1.1.40 that
the slave postmaster binds to.

When the slave makes it connection to the master to start replication
the source address for the connection is the host address, not the
virtual alias address. Connections appear to come from 10.1.1.10,
instead of the slave postmaster address of 10.1.1.40.

This seems like a bug to me. I could understand that if the
postmaster is listening on all interfaces, then it should use whatever
the IP is for the for the host, but in an instance where the
postmaster has been configured to listen to a specific address it
seems like the call to start the replication should be passed that
address so connections come from the slave postmaster’s IP, instead of
the host.

Is there a config option that can be used to adjust this? I've looked
in the docs, but haven't found one yet.

Is this perhaps a bug, or lack of feature?

Thanks
-Adam