RLS + XPATH

From: Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RLS + XPATH
Date: 2022-10-31 17:37:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Team,

While on the road in Iowa visiting covered bridges I met up with an amazing
individual named Brent. Brent, is with a small organization named: Darpa.

They are using PostgreSQL + RLS + XPATH but unfortunately the performance
has been less than what those who use PostgreSQL on a daily basis would
expect. Specifically when using RLS + XPATH, the optimizer does not
prefilter and will scan every row. This has taken their previous queries on
another database from sub second, to 25+ seconds on PostgreSQL.

Unfortunately, we were at a covered bridge park (see attached) and weren't
able to get deeper into the issue. That said, I did tell him that I would
report the issue. Maybe there is traction, maybe there isn't to get this
issue fixed.

May the code be with you,

JD
--