Re: AWS forcing PG upgrade from v9.6 a disaster

From: Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)" <postgresql(at)mailpen(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: AWS forcing PG upgrade from v9.6 a disaster
Date: 2021-06-10 14:36:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 6:50 PM Dean Gibson (DB Administrator) <
postgresql(at)mailpen(dot)com> wrote:

> Having now successfully migrated from PostgreSQL v9.6 to v13.2 in Amazon
> RDS, I wondered, why I am paying AWS for an RDS-based version, when I was
> forced by their POLICY to go through the effort I did? I'm not one of the
> crowd who thinks, "It works OK, so I don't update anything". I'm usually
> one who is VERY quick to apply upgrades, especially when there is a
> fallback ability. However, the initial failure to successfully upgrade
> from v9.6 to any more recent major version, put me in a time-limited box
> that I really don't like to be in.

Right, and had you deployed on EC2 you would not have been forced to
upgrade. This is an argument against RDS for this particular problem.

> If I'm going to have to deal with maintenance issues, like I easily did
> when I ran native PostgreSQL, why not go back to that? So, I've ported my
> database back to native PostgreSQL v13.3 on an AWS EC2 instance. It looks
> like I will save about 40% of the cost, which is in accord with this
> article: https://www.iobasis.com/Strategies-to-reduce-Amazon-RDS-Costs/

That is correct, it is quite a bit less expensive to host your own EC2
instances. Where it is not cheaper is when you need to easily configure
backups, take a snapshot, or bring up a replica. For those in the know,
putting in some work upfront largely removes the burden that RDS corrects
but a lot of people who deploy RDS are *not* DBAs, or even Systems people.
They are front end developers.

Glad to see you were able to work things out.

JD

--

- Partner, Father, Explorer and Founder.
- Founder - https://commandprompt.com/ - 24x7x365 Postgres since 1997