Re: pg_hba_file_settings view patch

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_hba_file_settings view patch
Date: 2017-01-25 04:28:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Ashutosh Bapat <
ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 6:34 AM, Michael Paquier
> > On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 11:19 PM, Ashutosh Bapat
> > <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> message

> strings,
> their
> it
> >>>

> >> Would it be better, if we could parse each HBA line within
> >> PG_TRY()/PG_CATCH() and read errmsg from errordata stack in
> >> PG_CATCH()? We do that only when errcode is ERRCODE_CONFIG_FILE_ERROR,
> >> PG_THROWing otherwise. That's probably a bad idea but wanted to put it
> >> out as it came to me. It would eliminate a lot of changes in this
> >> patch.
> >
> > It still needs to save the error message string somewhere. So I am not
> > sure that it would save much patch size.
>
> My understanding is that ereport (and some other calls included in
> that statement) call saves it on errordata stack before jumping to the
> handler.

All the ereport messages of level are LOG, because of this reason, because
of this reason even if we use the TRY/CATCH, it doesn't work. As the
messages gets printed to the logfile and continue to process the next
statement.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia