Re: Transaction commits VS Transaction commits (with parallel) VS query mean time

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Transaction commits VS Transaction commits (with parallel) VS query mean time
Date: 2019-04-08 00:04:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 3:29 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 10:45 AM Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the review.
> >
> > While changing the approach to use the is_parallel_worker_flag, I thought
> > that the rest of the stats are also not required to be updated and also
> those
> > are any way write operations and those values are zero anyway for
> parallel
> > workers.
> >
> > Instead of expanding the patch scope, I just changed to avoid the commit
> > or rollback stats as discussed, and later we can target the handling of
> all the
> > internal transactions and their corresponding stats.
> >

> The patch looks good to me. I have changed the commit message and ran
> the pgindent in the attached patch. Can you once see if that looks
> fine to you? Also, we should backpatch this till 9.6. So, can you
> once verify if the change is fine in all bank branches? Also, test
> with a force_parallel_mode option. I have already tested it with
> force_parallel_mode = 'regress' in HEAD, please test it in back
> branches as well.

Thanks for the updated patch.
I tested in back branches even with force_parallelmode and it is working
as expected. But the patches apply is failing in back branches, so attached
the patches for their branches. For v11 it applies with hunks.

Regards,
Haribabu Kommi
Fujitsu Australia

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Avoid-counting-transaction-stats-for-parallel-worker_10.patch application/octet-stream 4.2 KB
0001-Avoid-counting-transaction-stats-for-parallel-worker_96.patch application/octet-stream 4.1 KB