Re: pg_stat_wal_write statistics view

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh(dot)2007(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stat_wal_write statistics view
Date: 2017-09-27 08:58:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 5:46 PM, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 3:01 AM, Haribabu Kommi
> <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > I ran the latest performance tests with and without IO times, there is an
> > overhead involved with IO time calculation and didn't observe any
> > performance
> > overhead with normal stats. May be we can enable the IO stats only in the
> > development environment to find out the IO stats?
> >

> -1 for me to have these columns depending on a GUC *and* wether it's a
> debug or assert build (unless this behaviour already exists for other
> functions, but AFAIK that's not the case).
>
> > I added the other background stats to find out how much WAL write is
> > carried out by the other background processes. Now I am able to collect
> > the stats for the other background processes also after the pgbench test.
> > So I feel now the separate background stats may be useful.
> >
> > Attached latest patch, performance test results and stats details with
> > separate background stats and also combine them with backend including
> > the IO stats also.
> >

> The results seem to vary too much to have a strong opinion, but it
> looks like the timing instrumentation can be too expensive, so I'd be
> -1 on adding this overhead to track_io_timing.

Thanks for the review.
I removed the time related columns from the view. As these columns are
adding
an overhead and GUC controlled behavior is different to the other views.

Apart from above time columns, I removed walwriter_dirty_writes, as the
walwriter writers cannot be treated as dirty writes.

I have some minor comments on the last patch:

> + <row>
> + <entry><structfield>backend_writes</></entry>
> + <entry>Number of WAL writes that are carried out by the backend
> process</entry>
>
> it should be backend processes

Changed.

> +#define NUM_PG_STAT_WALWRITE_ATTS 16
> +
> +Datum
> +pg_stat_get_walwrites(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
> +{
> + TupleDesc tupdesc;
> + Datum values[NUM_PG_STAT_WALWRITE_ATTS];
> + bool nulls[NUM_PG_STAT_WALWRITE_ATTS];
>
> For consistency, the #define should be just before the tupdesc
> declaration, and be named PG_STAT_GET_WALWRITE_COLS

Changed.

> + PgStat_Counter backend_writes; /* No of writes by backend */
>
> + PgStat_Counter backend_dirty_writes; /* No of dirty writes by
> + * backend when WAL buffers
> + * full */
>
> + PgStat_Counter backend_write_blocks; /* Total no of pages
> written by backend */
>
> these comments should all be say "backends" for consistency

Changed.

> +-- There will surely and maximum one record
> +select count(*) > 0 as ok from pg_stat_walwrites;
>
> The test should be count(*) = 1

Changed.

Updated patch attached.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_stat_walwrites-statistics-view_v9.patch application/octet-stream 28.4 KB