View to get all the extension control file details

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: View to get all the extension control file details
Date: 2018-09-17 06:49:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Hackers,

Currently PostgreSQL provides following views to get the extension specific
details

pg_available_extensions - Name, default_version, installed_version, comment

pg_available_extension_versions - Name, version, installed, superuser,
relocatable, schema, requires, comment

But these misses the "directory", "module_pathname" and "encoding"
extension specific informations and these are not available even with
extension specific functions also. There are some extension that differs in
extension name to library name. The pgpool_recovery extension library name
is pgpool-recovery.so, '_' to '-'. While we are developing some tool on top
of PostgreSQL, we found out this problem and it can be solved easily if the
server expose the details that i have and got it from the extension control
file.

Any opinion in adding a new view like "pg_available_extension_details" to
display all extension control file columns? or Adding them to the existing
view is good?

Regards,
Haribabu Kommi
Fujitsu Australia