Re: Multi-tenancy with RLS

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multi-tenancy with RLS
Date: 2015-10-09 04:00:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> * Robert Haas (robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
>> We've got one reloption for views already - security_barrier. Maybe
>> we could have another one that effectively changes a particular view
>> from "security definer" as it is today to "security invoker".
>
> As I recall, there was a previous suggestion (honestly, I thought it was
> your idea) to have a reloption which made views "fully" security
> definer, in that functions in the view definition would run as the view
> owner instead of the view invoker.
>
> I liked that idea, though we would need to have a function to say "who
> is the 'outer' user?" (CURRENT_USER always being the owner with the
> above described reloption).
>
> I'm less sure about the idea of having a view which runs entirely as the
> view invoker, but I'm not against it either.

I changed in function check_enable_rls to use the invoker id instead of owner id
for all the system objects, the catalog table policies are getting
applied and it is
working fine till now in my multi-tenancy testing.

Currently I am writing tests to validate it against all user objects also.
If this change works for all user objects also, then we may not needed
the security invoker
reloption.

Regards,
Hari Babu