Re: pg_hba_lookup function to get all matching pg_hba.conf entries

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_hba_lookup function to get all matching pg_hba.conf entries
Date: 2015-12-10 01:16:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 4:22 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Haribabu Kommi wrote:
>
>> Reverting the context release patch is already provided in the first
>> mail of this
>> thread [1]. Forgot to mention about the same in further mails.
>>
>> Here I attached the same patch. This patch needs to be applied first before
>> pg_hba_lookup patch. I tested it in windows version also.
>
> So if you change the file and reload repeatedly, we leak all the memory
> allocated for HBA lines in TopMemoryContext? This doesn't sound great.
> Perhaps we need a dedicated context which can be reset at will so that
> it can be refilled with the right info when we reload the file.

No. There is no leaks associated with pg_hba.conf parsing. we already have
a memory context called "hba parser context" allocated from Postmaster
context. The "revert_hba_context_release_in_backend" patch changes it to
TopMemoryContext. The memory required for parsing and storing parsed
hba lines is obtained from this context.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia