Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take
Date: 2018-07-24 13:31:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 11:01 PM Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 11:35 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
>
>> On 2018-07-04 20:11:21 +1000, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
>> > On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 5:06 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
>> wrote:
>> >

> > - bitmap index scans probably need a new tableam.h callback, abstracting
>> > >

>> > OK.
>>
>> Any chance you could try to tackle this? I'm going to be mostly out
>> this week, so we'd probably not run across each others feet...
>>

> OK, I will take care of the above point.

I added new API in the tableam.h to get all the page visible tuples to
abstract the bitgetpage() function.

>>- Merge tableam.h and tableamapi.h and make most tableam.c functions
>> small inline functions. Having one-line tableam.c wrappers makes this
>> more expensive than necessary. We'll have a big enough trouble not
>> regressing performancewise.

I merged tableam.h and tableamapi.h into tableam.h and changed all the
functions as inline. This change may have added some additional headers,
will check them if I can remove their need.

Attached are the updated patches on top your github tree.

Currently I am working on the following.
- I observed that there is a crash when running isolation tests.
- COPY's multi_insert path should probably deal with a bunch of slots,
rather than forming HeapTuples

Regards,
Haribabu Kommi
Fujitsu Australia

Attachment Content-Type Size
0002-New-API-to-get-heap-page-tuples.patch application/octet-stream 9.4 KB
0001-Merge-tableam.h-and-tableamapi.h.patch application/octet-stream 58.8 KB