Re: New function pg_stat_statements_reset_query() to reset statistics of a specific query

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, sk(at)zsrv(dot)org, vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New function pg_stat_statements_reset_query() to reset statistics of a specific query
Date: 2018-12-12 10:23:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 1:57 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 7:13 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On 2018-Nov-28, Amit Kapila wrote:
> >
> > > The problem with this idea is that if someone specifies a particular
> > > parameter using query and the query doesn't return any parameters,
> > > then it can lead to inadvertent behavior. For example, if user uses
> > > something like pg_stat_statements_reset(<valid_user_id>,
> > > <valid_db_id>, SELECT s.queryid FROM pg_stat_statements AS s WHERE
> > > s.query = 'SELECT $1 AS "ONE"'); now, if the query doesn't return any
> > > row, we will remove the stats for all queries that belong to
> > > (userid,dbid). It could be surprising for some users, that's why we
> > > came up with option-4 where we keep the default value of parameters as
> > > 0.
> >
> > Right, I think option 4 is a clear improvement over option 1. I can get
> > behind that one. Since not many people care to vote, I think this tips
> > the scales enough to that side.
> >

> Agreed. Hari, can you change the patch as per the requirements of
> option-4.

Apologies for delay. Thanks to all your opinions.

Attached is the updated patch as per the option-4 and added a test also to
ensure
the function strictness.

Regards,
Haribabu Kommi
Fujitsu Australia

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Extend-pg_stat_statements_reset-to-reset-statistics_v14.patch application/octet-stream 22.3 KB