Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take
Date: 2018-10-18 03:28:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 6:06 AM Alexander Korotkov <
a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 8:16 AM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> > I've pushed an updated version, with a fair amount of pending changes,
> > and I hope all your pending (and not redundant, by our concurrent
> > development), patches merged.
>
> I'd like to also share some patches. I've used current state of
> pluggable-zheap for the base of my patches.

Thanks for the review and patches.

> * 0001-remove-extra-snapshot-functions.patch – removes
> snapshot_satisfiesUpdate() and snapshot_satisfiesVacuum() functions
> from tableam API. snapshot_satisfiesUpdate() was unused completely.
> snapshot_satisfiesVacuum() was used only in heap_copy_for_cluster().
> So, I've replaced it with direct heapam_satisfies_vacuum().

Thanks for the correction.

> * 0002-add-costing-function-to-API.patch – adds function for costing
> sequential and table sample scan to tableam API. zheap costing
> function are now copies of heap costing function. This should be
> adjusted in future.

This patch misses the new *_cost.c files that are added specific cost
functions.

> Estimation for heap lookup during index scans
> should be also pluggable, but not yet implemented (TODO).

Yes, Is it possible to use the same API that is added by above
patch?

Regards,
Haribabu Kommi
Fujitsu Australia