Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take
Date: 2018-08-24 01:55:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 6:59 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> On 2018-08-21 16:55:47 +1000, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 7:48 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> > > I'm currently in the process of rebasing zheap onto the pluggable
> > > storage work. The goal, which seems to work surprisingly well, is to
> > > find issues that the current pluggable storage patch doesn't yet deal
> > > with. I plan to push a tree including a lot of fixes and improvements
> > > soon.
> > >
> > That's good. Did you find any problems in porting zheap into pluggable
> > storage? Does it needs any API changes or new API requirement?
>
> A lot, yes. The big changes are:
> - removal of HeapPageScanDesc
> - introduction of explicit support functions for tablesample & bitmap scans
> - introduction of callbacks for vacuum_rel, cluster
>
> And quite a bit more along those lines.

OK. Those are quite a bit of changes.

> > Does the new TupleTableSlot abstraction patches has fixed any of these
> > issues in the recent thread [1]? so that I can look into the change of
> > FDW API to return slot instead of tuple.
>
> Yea, that'd be a good thing to start with.

I found out only the RefetchForeignRow API needs the change and done the
same.
Along with that, I fixed all the issues of running make check-world.
Attached patches
for the same.

Now I will look into the remaining FIXME's that don't conflict with your
further changes.

Regards,
Haribabu Kommi
Fujitsu Australia

Attachment Content-Type Size
0002-check-world-fixes.patch application/octet-stream 8.4 KB
0001-FDW-RefetchForeignRow-API-prototype-change.patch application/octet-stream 5.9 KB