Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take
Date: 2018-08-21 08:59:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2018-08-21 16:55:47 +1000, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 7:48 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> > I'm currently in the process of rebasing zheap onto the pluggable
> > storage work. The goal, which seems to work surprisingly well, is to
> > find issues that the current pluggable storage patch doesn't yet deal
> > with. I plan to push a tree including a lot of fixes and improvements
> > soon.
> >

> Sorry for coming late to this thread.

No worries.

> That's good. Did you find any problems in porting zheap into pluggable
> storage? Does it needs any API changes or new API requirement?

A lot, yes. The big changes are:
- removal of HeapPageScanDesc
- introduction of explicit support functions for tablesample & bitmap scans
- introduction of callbacks for vacuum_rel, cluster

And quite a bit more along those lines.

> Does the new TupleTableSlot abstraction patches has fixed any of these
> issues in the recent thread [1]? so that I can look into the change of
> FDW API to return slot instead of tuple.

Yea, that'd be a good thing to start with.

Greetings,

Andres Freund