Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum
Date: 2019-02-13 12:32:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 11:47 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 12:14 PM Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 8:19 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >>

> >> The passing stats = NULL to amvacuumcleanup and ambulkdelete means the
> >> first time execution. For example, btvacuumcleanup skips cleanup if
> >> it's not NULL.In the normal vacuum we pass NULL to ambulkdelete or
> >> amvacuumcleanup when the first time calling. And they store the result
> >> stats to the memory allocated int the local memory. Therefore in the
> >> parallel vacuum I think that both worker and leader need to move it to
> >> the shared memory and mark it as updated as different worker could
> >> vacuum different indexes at the next time.
> >

> > OK, understood the point. But for btbulkdelete whenever the stats are
> NULL,
> > it allocates the memory. So I don't see a problem with it.
> >
> > The only problem is with btvacuumcleanup, when there are no dead tuples
> > present in the table, the btbulkdelete is not called and directly the
> btvacuumcleanup
> > is called at the end of vacuum, in that scenario, there is code flow
> difference
> > based on the stats. so why can't we use the deadtuples number to
> differentiate
> > instead of adding another flag?
>
> I don't understand your suggestion. What do we compare deadtuples
> number to? Could you elaborate on that please?

The scenario where the stats should pass NULL to btvacuumcleanup function is
when there no dead tuples, I just think that we may use that deadtuples
structure
to find out whether stats should pass NULL or not while avoiding the extra
memcpy.

> > And also this scenario is not very often, so avoiding
> > memcpy for normal operations would be better. It may be a small gain,
> just
> > thought of it.
> >

> This scenario could happen periodically on an insert-only table.
> Additional memcpy is executed once per indexes in a vacuuming but I
> agree that the avoiding memcpy would be good.

Yes, understood. If possible removing the need of memcpy would be good.
The latest patch doesn't apply anymore. Needs a rebase.

Regards,
Haribabu Kommi
Fujitsu Australia