Re: Combining Aggregates

From: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Combining Aggregates
Date: 2015-12-24 01:07:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 7:50 PM, David Rowley
<david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> This is just my serial format that I've come up with for NumericAggState,
> which is basically: "N sumX maxScale maxScaleCount NaNcount". Perhaps we can
> come up with something better, maybe just packing the ints and int64s into a
> bytea type and putting the text version of sumX on the end... I'm sure we
> can think of something more efficient between us, but I think the serial
> state should definitely be cross platform e.g if we do the bytea thing, then
> the ints should be in network byte order so that a server cluster can have a
> mix of little and big-endian processors.

Instead of adding serial and de-serial functions to all aggregates which have
transition type as internal, how about adding these functions as send and
recv functions for internal type? can be used only in aggregate context.
The data can send and receive similar like other functions. Is it possible?

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia