Re: Our trial to TPC-DS but optimizer made unreasonable plan

From: Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(dot)postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Our trial to TPC-DS but optimizer made unreasonable plan
Date: 2015-08-19 17:32:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 5:59 PM, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com> wrote:
> BTW, did you register the patch on the upcoming commit-fest?

Not yet, it is in WIP status.

> I think it may be a helpful feature, if we can add alternative
> subquery-path towards cte-scan on set_cte_pathlist() and choose
> them according to the cost estimation.

Are you suggesting that we keep both subquery-path (whenever possible)
and cte-path so that optimizer can choose among them?

I could imagine that if we could support "materialize cte once and use
multiple times" execution, then we shall be able to benefit from
keeping cte-path. But seems we still don't support this execution
mode.

Regards,
Qingqing