Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system

From: "Fred (dot)Flintstone" <eldmannen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)adjust(dot)com>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL pollutes the file system
Date: 2019-03-27 17:40:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-pkg-debian

Symlinks would be great, because then the symlinks could be packaged
as an optional package.
such as;
- postgresql-11
- postgresql-client-11
- postgresql-client-symlinks-11
- postgresql-client-common
- postgresql-common

Then one might chose to not install the symlinks package or uninstall it.

And it would ease discoverability, predictability, intuitiveness, and
ease-of-use so much by just being able to type pg_<tab> to discover
all the PostgreSQL-related commands.