Re: Added schema level support for publication.

From: Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Added schema level support for publication.
Date: 2021-11-01 05:22:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 3:35 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Sawada-San, others, what do you think? Is it really useful to have such a view?
>
> One point to think is if we introduce such a view then how it should
> behave for schema objects? Do we need to display only schemas or
> additionally all the tables in the schema as well? If you follow the
> above suggestion of mine then I think it will display both schemas
> published and tables in that schema that will be considered for
> publishing.

I find the proposed view useful for processing the publication
structure and members in SQL, without having to piece the information
together from the other pg_publication_* tables.
Personally I don't think it is necessary to additionally display all
tables in the schema (that information can be retrieved by pg_tables
or information_schema.tables, if needed).

Regards,
Greg Nancarrow
Fujitsu Australia