Skip vacuum log report code in lazy_scan_heap() if possible

From: Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Skip vacuum log report code in lazy_scan_heap() if possible
Date: 2021-10-29 10:51:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

When recently debugging a vacuum-related issue, I noticed that there
is some log-report processing/formatting code at the end of
lazy_scan_heap() that, unless the vacuum VERBOSE option is specified,
typically results in no log output (as the log-level is then DEBUG2).
I think it is worth skipping this code if ultimately nothing is going
to be logged (and I found that even for a tiny database, a VACUUM may
execute this code hundreds of times).
I have attached a simple patch for this.

Regards,
Greg Nancarrow
Fujitsu Australia

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Skip-vacuum-log-report-processing-in-lazy_scan_heap-if-possible.patch application/octet-stream 1.1 KB