Re: On login trigger: take three

From: Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On login trigger: take three
Date: 2020-12-04 00:50:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 2:12 AM Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> It is always possible to login by disabling startup triggers using disable_session_start_trigger GUC:
>>
>> psql "dbname=postgres options='-c disable_session_start_trigger=true'"
>

> sure, I know. Just this behavior can be a very unpleasant surprise, and my question is if it can be fixed. Creating custom libpq variables can be the stop for people that use pgAdmin.

Hi,

I thought in the case of using pgAdmin (assuming you can connect as
superuser to a database, say the default "postgres" maintenance
database, that doesn't have an EVENT TRIGGER defined for the
session_start event) you could issue the query "ALTER SYSTEM SET
disable_session_start_trigger TO true;" and then reload the
configuration?

Anyway, I am wondering if this patch is still being actively developed/improved?

Regarding the last-posted patch, I'd like to give some feedback. I
found that the documentation part wouldn't build because of errors in
the SGML tags. There are some grammatical errors too, and some minor
inconsistencies with the current documentation, and some descriptions
could be improved. I think that a colon separator should be added to
the NOTICE message for superuser, so it's clear exactly where the text
of the underlying error message starts. Also, I think that
"client_connection" is perhaps a better and more intuitive event name
than "session_start", or the suggested "user_backend_start".
I've therefore attached an updated patch with these suggested minor
improvements, please take a look and see what you think (please
compare with the original patch).

Regards,
Greg Nancarrow
Fujitsu Australia

Attachment Content-Type Size
on_connect_event_trigger_WITH_SUGGESTED_UPDATES.patch application/octet-stream 16.9 KB