Re: prokind column (was Re: [HACKERS] SQL procedures)

From: John Naylor <jcnaylor(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: prokind column (was Re: [HACKERS] SQL procedures)
Date: 2018-02-25 10:29:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/25/18, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> We need a plan for when/how to apply this, along with the proposed
> bootstrap data conversion patch, which obviously conflicts with it
> significantly.

The bulk changes in the bootstrap data patch are scripted rather than
patched, so the prokind patch will pose little in the way of
conflicts. I can't verify this just yet since Peter's second patch
doesn't apply for me against c4ba1bee68ab. Also, as of version 7 my
patch left out default values and human-readable oids, since I wanted
to get the new generated headers reviewed and up to project standards
first. Since I'll likely have to adjust the patches for those features
anyway, there's plenty of room for me to adjust to the changes to
pg_proc.h as well.

> My thought here is that the data conversion patch is going to break
> basically every pending patch that touches src/include/catalog/,
> so we ought to apply it at a point where that list of patches is short
> and there's lots of time for people to redo them. Hence, end of the
> dev cycle is the right time.

I agree.

-John Naylor