Re: Documentation for bootstrap data conversion

From: John Naylor <jcnaylor(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation for bootstrap data conversion
Date: 2018-04-09 09:28:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/7/18, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> John and I are probably both too close to the patch to be able to
> review this documentation for clarity and usefulness, so if anyone
> else wants to have a look, please comment.

No argument there, but I did want to note some minor details:

1.
<filename>reformat_dat_file.pl</filename> preserves blank lines
and comment lines as-is.

As it is now, it will actually collapse consecutive blank lines into
one. I maintain that was necessary during conversion to get some
semblance of consistency, but now it may not be a good idea to tie
developers' hands in surprising ways if they want double blank lines
in some places. It would be pretty easy to remove this behavior.
Apologies if it was not documented well enough.

2. I noticed the use of
<structname>pg_xxx.h</structname>
<structname>pg_xxx_d.h</structname>
where I would expect <filename>. Not sure if it matters.

3. It seems the preferred style is to refer to "bootstrap" relations
rather than "bootstrapped" relations. The attached patch makes code
comments more like the docs in this regard.

-John Naylor

Attachment Content-Type Size
rationalize-bootstrap-spelling.patch text/x-patch 3.1 KB