Forensic recovery deleted pgdump custom format file

From: David Guimaraes <skysbsb(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Forensic recovery deleted pgdump custom format file
Date: 2015-07-14 00:28:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello. I need some help.

I have the following situation. My client deleted a number of old backups
from a drive disc made by PGDUMP with custom flag activated. I could not
find any program to recover backup files made by PGDUMP of customized /
binary form. So I decided to try to understand the file format generated by
pgdump. Analyzing the source code of pgdump/recovery, i concluded a few
things:

The header of the file always starts with "PGDMP" followed by pgdump
version number used, followed by int size, offset, etc. followed by TOCs.

My question is how to know the end of the file? Are there any signature
that I can use? Or would have to analyze the whole file?

Thank u.

--
David