Re: Turning recovery.conf into GUCs

From: Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Turning recovery.conf into GUCs
Date: 2013-11-13 05:17:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

>> 9.3 has include_dir and postgresql.conf has this setted:
>> """
>> #include_dir = 'conf.d' # include files ending in '.conf' from
>> # directory 'conf.d'
>> """
>>
>> anything before this should be up to the packagers, no?
>>
>> or, do you mean something else?
>
> Well, I was just pointing out that it would make things *much* easier
> for tool authors if conf.d were enabled by default, instead of disabled
> by default. Then they could change tools to write a "recovery.conf"
> file to conf.d.

I agree, it would be much easier, but that is not relevant to this patch.

I have rebased Michael Paquier's patch and did a few changes:

* changed standby.enabled filename to recovery.trigger
* make archive_command a SIGHUP parameter again
* make restore_command a SIGHUP parameter
* rename restore_command variable to XLogRestoreCommand to match
XLogArchiveCommand

we can also make primary_conninfo a SIGHUP parameter, of course the
DBA will need to force a reconection after that.
after this is done we can look at the other recovery parameters.

--
Jaime Casanova www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte 24x7 y capacitación

Attachment Content-Type Size
recovery_guc_v5.patch text/x-patch 104.7 KB