Prepared Statements

From: Patrick REED <patrickreed352(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Prepared Statements
Date: 2020-10-02 20:10:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I am having a hard time pinning down which function creates a prepared
statement. Say in some language I create a Prepared Statement and send it
off. Before the first time I execute the prepared statement, which function
is the one that 'creates' the prepared statement. In other words, which
function stores it. I know that StorePreparedStatement will cache it, but
is there anything else.

e.g.
In your favorite language:

String statement = "Insert into table_one values 10";
PreparedStatement insert = con.prepareStatement(statement);insert.execute()

The very first time, does it store this just in the plancache or does it do
something different to 'know' it has stored a Prepared Statement, so next
time it will invoke it.

Thanks,
Patrick