enable_incremental_sort changes query behavior

From: Jaime Casanova <jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: enable_incremental_sort changes query behavior
Date: 2020-09-26 18:49:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

With sqlsmith I found a query that gives this error:
ERROR: ORDER/GROUP BY expression not found in targetlist

I noted the query (sql query below, sorry it uses custom tables i
couldn't replicate with regression tables) because it doesn't include
an ORDER/GROUP BY clause.

--- 0 ----
select distinct
subq_0.c1 as c0,
ref_0.radi_usua_radi as c1,
ref_0.radi_nume_asoc as c2,
subq_0.c1 as c3,
case when (cast(null as pg_lsn) >=
pg_catalog.pg_last_wal_receive_lsn())
and (true = pg_catalog.pg_rotate_logfile_old()) then
ref_0.radi_usua_rem else ref_0.radi_usua_rem end
as c4,
cast(nullif((select hist_codi from public.hist_eventos_2
limit 1 offset 4)
,
pg_catalog.pg_stat_get_buf_alloc()) as int8) as c5
from
public.radicado_2 as ref_0,
lateral (select
ref_0.radi_text_temp as c0,
ref_0.radi_usua_actu as c1
from
public.hist_eventos_1 as ref_1
where cast(nullif(cast(null as float4),
cast(null as float4)) as float4) >= pg_catalog.pi()) as subq_0
where ref_0.radi_usua_dest is not NULL;

Attached the stack trace produced until de elog that produces the message.

But if I set enable_incremental_sort to off the query gets executed
without problems (attached the explain produced for that case)

--
Jaime Casanova www.2ndQuadrant.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
query_plan.txt.txt text/plain 1.5 KB