Using regoper type with OPERATOR()

From: Tony Theodore <tony(dot)theodore(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using regoper type with OPERATOR()
Date: 2011-10-05 05:42:18
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

Say I have a discount table that stores either percentages or dollar
amounts, and I'd like to save the operator to be used in a
calculation. I started with a text field and CASE statement, but then
found the operator types that seem more useful:

CREATE TABLE discounts(price float, disc float, disc_oper regoperator);
INSERT INTO discounts VALUES
(100, .1, '*(float, float)'),
(100, 10, '-(float, float)');

so I could use a query like:

SELECT price OPERATOR(disc_oper::regoper) disc AS disc_amount FROM discounts

This doesn't work however, and I'm not sure why. I think I'm missing
something simple since:

SELECT disc_oper::regoper FROM discounts;
disc_oper
pg_catalog.*
pg_catalog.-
(2 rows)