Re: ExecTypeSetColNames is fundamentally broken

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: ExecTypeSetColNames is fundamentally broken
Date: 2022-03-16 12:47:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi hackers,

> Anyone else have thoughts?

I came across this thread while looking for the patches that need review.

My understanding of the code is limited, but I can say that I don't
see anything particularly wrong with it. I can also confirm that it
fixes the problem reported by the user while passing the rest of the
tests.

I understand the concern expressed by Robert in respect of backward
compatibility. From the user's perspective, personally I would prefer
a fixed bug over backward compatibility. Especially if we consider the
fact that the current behaviour of cases like `select row_to_json(i)
from int8_tbl i(x,y)` is not necessarily the correct one, at least it
doesn't look right to me.

So unless anyone has strong objections against the proposed fix or can
propose a better patch, I would suggest merging it.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev