Re: Pluggable toaster

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>, Nikita Malakhov <hukutoc(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Pluggable toaster
Date: 2022-10-22 08:58:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Nikita,

> Aleksander, we have had this in mind while developing this feature, and have checked it. Just a slight modification is needed
> to make it work with Pluggable Storage (Access Methods) API.

Could you please clarify this a little from the architectural point of view?

Let's say company A implements some specific TableAM (in-memory / the
one that uses undo logging / etc). Company B implements an alternative
TOAST mechanism.

How the TOAST extension is going to work without knowing any specifics
of the TableAM the user chooses for the given relation, and vice
versa? How one of the extensions is going to upgrade / downgrade
between the versions without knowing any implementation details of
another?

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev