Re: PG11 to PG14 Migration Slowness

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Vigneshk Kvignesh <krrvignesh2(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PG11 to PG14 Migration Slowness
Date: 2023-01-13 13:02:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Vigneshk,

> I'm migrating our existing PG instances from PG11.4 to PG14.3. I have around 5 Million Tables in a single database. When migrating using pg_upgrade, its taking 3 hours for the process to complete. I'm not sure if its the intended behaviour or we're missing something here.

Thanks for reporting this. I would say this is more or less an
expected behaviour. This being said I think we could do better than
that.

Could you identify the bottleneck or perhaps provide the minimal
automated steps (ideally, a script) to reproduce your issue in a clean
environment?

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev