Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson
Date: 2022-05-26 08:47:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Andres,

Thanks for working on this! I'm very enthusiastic about this effort and I was
glad to see on PGCon Unconference that the majority of the community seems
to be as well.

> The halfway decent list includes, I think:
> 1) cmake
> 2) bazel
> 3) meson

Was SCons considered as an option? It is widely adopted and written in Python
as well. Personally, I like the fact that with SCons you write config files
in pure Python, not some dialect you have to learn additionally. There is
a free e-book available [1].

What pros and cons do you see that make Meson a better choice?

[1]: https://scons.org/doc/production/PDF/scons-user.pdf

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev