Re: POC: Extension for adding distributed tracing - pg_tracing

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Anthonin Bonnefoy <anthonin(dot)bonnefoy(at)datadoghq(dot)com>, Nikita Malakhov <hukutoc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: POC: Extension for adding distributed tracing - pg_tracing
Date: 2023-07-26 14:11:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Nikita,

> This patch looks very interesting, I'm working on the same subject too. But I've used
> another approach - I'm using C wrapper for C++ API library from OpenTelemetry, and
> handle span storage and output to this library. There are some nuances though, but it
> is possible. Have you tried to use OpenTelemetry APIs instead of implementing all
> functionality around spans?

I don't think that PostgreSQL accepts such kind of C++ code, not to
mention the fact that the PostgreSQL license is not necessarily
compatible with Apache 2.0 (I'm not a lawyer; this is not a legal
advice). Such a design decision will probably require using separate
compile flags since the user doesn't necessarily have a corresponding
dependency installed. Similarly to how we do with LLVM, OpenSSL, etc.

So -1 to the OpenTelemetry C++ library and +1 to the properly licensed
C implementation without 3rd party dependencies from me. Especially
considering the fact that the implementation seems to be rather
simple.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev