Re: PG DOCS - logical replication filtering

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG DOCS - logical replication filtering
Date: 2022-03-02 09:07:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Peter,

> PSA a PG docs patch that is associated with the logical replication
> Row Filters feature which was recently pushed [1].

The patch looks mostly OK, but I have several nitpicks.

```
By default, all data from all published tables will be replicated to the
appropriate subscribers.
[...]
By default, all operation types are replicated.
```

The second sentence seems to be redundant.

```
(This feature is available since PostgreSQL 15)
```

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we say that in the docs.
When the user opens the documentation for version X he or she sees
everything that is available in this version.

```
31.3. Filtering
[...]
There are 3 different ways to filter what data gets replicated.
31.3.1. Operation Filters
[...]
31.3.2. Row Filters
[...]
```
It looks like there are 2 different ways after all.

I see that a large part of the documentation is commented and marked as TBA
(Column Filters, Combining Different Kinds of Filters). Could you please
clarify if it's a work-in-progress patch? If it's not, I believe the
commented part should be removed before committing.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev