Re: Allow file inclusion in pg_hba and pg_ident files

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Allow file inclusion in pg_hba and pg_ident files
Date: 2022-03-22 12:21:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi hackers,

> The cfbot says that the patch doesn't apply anymore, so here's a v3 with
the
> changes mentioned below.

I came across this thread while looking for the patches that need review.

The v3-0001 patch LGTM.

Since v3-0002 adds a new view and alters pg_proc.dat shouldn't it also
increase CATALOG_VERSION_NO? Not sure if we generally do this in the
patches or expect the committer to make the change manually.

Same question regarding v3-0003. Other than that the patch looks OK, but
doesn't seem to add any tests for the new functionality. Do you think it
would be possible to test-cover the file inclusion? Personally I don't
think it's that critical to have these particular tests, but if they can be
added, I think we should do so.

I didn't review v3-0004 since it's marked as PoC and seems to be a separate
feature that is not targeting PG15. I suggest excluding it from the
patchset in order to keep the focus. Consider creating a new thread and a
new CF entry after we deal with v3-0001...v3-0003.

All in all, the patchset seems to be in good shape and I don't have
anything but some little nitpicks. It passes `make installcheck` and I
verified manually that the file inclusion 1) works 2) write proper error
messages to the logfile when the included file doesn't exist or has wrong
permissions.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev