Re: A minor adjustment to get_cheapest_path_for_pathkeys

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: A minor adjustment to get_cheapest_path_for_pathkeys
Date: 2023-07-11 12:16:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

> The check for parallel_safe should be even cheaper than cost comparison
> so I think it's better to do that first. The attached patch does this
> and also updates the comment to mention the requirement about being
> parallel-safe.

The patch was marked as "Needs review" so I decided to take a look.

I see the reasoning behind the proposed change, but I'm not convinced
that there will be any measurable performance improvements. Firstly,
compare_path_costs() is rather cheap. Secondly, require_parallel_safe
is `false` in most of the cases. Last but not least, one should prove
that this particular place is a bottleneck under given loads. I doubt
it is. Most of the time it's a network, disk I/O or locks.

So unless the author can provide benchmarks that show measurable
benefits of the change I suggest rejecting it.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev