Re: Add ZSON extension to /contrib/

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)compiler(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Add ZSON extension to /contrib/
Date: 2021-06-04 15:09:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi hackers,

Many thanks for the feedback and all the great suggestions!

I decided to add the patch to the nearest commitfest. You will find it in
the attachment.

Differences from the GitHub version:

- Code formatting changed;
- More comments added to the code;
- SGML documentation added;
- Plus several minor changes;

I very much like the ideas:

- To use varint, as Tomas suggested
- Make dictionaries variable in size
- Somehow avoid calling gettimeofday()
- Improvements by 2ndQuadrant that Andrew named

However, I would like to decompose the task into 1) deciding if the
extension is worth adding to /contrib/ and 2) improving it. Since there are
people who already use ZSON, the extension should be backward-compatible
with the current ZSON format anyway. Also, every improvement deserves its
own discussion, testing, and benchmarking. Thus I believe the suggested
approach will simplify the job for reviewers, and also save us time if the
patch will be declined. If the patch will be accepted, I will be delighted
to submit follow-up patches!

If you have any other ideas on how the extension can be improved in the
future, please don't hesitate to name them in this thread. Also, I would
appreciate some code review.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-zson.patch application/octet-stream 34.8 KB