Re: Adding doubly linked list type which stores the number of items in the list

From: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Adding doubly linked list type which stores the number of items in the list
Date: 2022-10-31 13:28:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi hackers,

> I will take another look at v3 tomorrow and probably mark it RfC.

I very much like the patch. While on it:

```
+static inline bool
+dclist_is_empty(dclist_head *head)
+{
+ Assert(dlist_is_empty(&head->dlist) == (head->count == 0));
+ return (head->count == 0);
+}
```

Should we consider const'ifying the arguments of the dlist_*/dclist_*
functions that don't change the arguments?

Additionally it doesn't seem that we have any unit tests for dlist /
dclist. Should we consider adding unit tests for them to
src/test/regress?

To clarify, IMO both questions are out of scope of this specific patch
and should be submitted separately.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev