Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files

From: Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera from 2ndQuadrant <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files
Date: 2019-12-12 06:22:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 at 11:34, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> So max_changes_in_memory is the one
> that allows us to reduce the number of transactions required, so we
> can cut down on the outer loop iterations and make the test finish
> much earlier.

> But also note that, we can't use the test suite in
> contrib/test_decoding, because max_changes_in_memory needs server
> restart. So we need to shift this test to src/test/recovery. And
> there, I guess it is not that critical for the testcase to be very
> quick because the tests in general are much slower than the ones in
> contrib/test_decoding, although it would be nice to make it fast. What
> I propose is to modify max_changes_in_memory, do a server restart
> (which takes hardly a sec), run the testcase (3.5 sec) and then
> restart after resetting the guc. So totally it will be around 4-5
> seconds.

Sorry I meant max_files_per_process. We need to reduce
max_files_per_process, so that it causes max_safe_fds to be reduced,
and so only a few transactions are sufficient to reproduce the
problem, because the reserveAllocatedDesc() will return false much
sooner due to low max_safe_fds.

--
Thanks,
-Amit Khandekar